Q. Hi Jordan!
Greetings from Sudan! I love your blog, I have poured over it ever since it came on my radar.
I am working in Africa. It’s great but lacking in, well, Western fashion. I will be back in the U.S. over Christmas, and am wondering if you can you tell me what will be popular this winter? Anything would help – colors or accessories?
I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
A. Absolutely! Some of my favorite trends for this winter:
1. Leather accents (think leather panel accents on dresses, leather sleeves on blazers, or leather pockets on pants). This trend is everywhere, and doesn’t have to be pricey: just go for a pleather style if you’d like to try it out.
2. Burgundy is totally ubiquitous right now, but even though we’re a little saturated with the shade I continue to like it for accessories. I’ve owned a pair of burgundy leather gloves for a few years now that look great with everything, and are a nice, unexpected alternative to black.
3. Menswear-inspired coats with military accents, especially in mustard, navy, and olive green (I love my new coat from TJ Maxx).
4. Dark florals. This is a nice trend to hunt around for in vintage stores – so long as the base color of the florals is a dark color (emerald green, navy, dark red) it’s perfect for winter.
5. Animal prints. You can’t really call them a “trend” anymore – animal prints are basically a neutral (or at least they are to me). For winter, go for a leopard-print scarf or ladylike pumps (no platforms) like these from Nine West.
6. Flared pants. Skinny jeans always look great, but this winter I love the look of bellbottoms paired with a slim metallic belt and a tucked-in blouse.
7. Structured bags. Probably my favorite trend, this is where you can go for a real investment piece like the Zac Posen pictured above. A gorgeous, structured handbag in a jewel tone (I especially love deep blue and emerald green) can go from work to weekend to out at night, and will never go out of style.
Product info after the jump.