It’s true, maxidresses as a general style category say “boho and beachy” much more than “pulled-together and professional.” But! They’re also stylish and comfortable and wonderful in so many ways, so let’s figure out how to make them work for the office.
HOW-TO: WEAR A MAXIDRESS TO WORK
1. Maxis are for relatively casual offices only. (In other words: if suits are standard fare, go for pencil skirts and sheaths if you’re looking for a cooler alternative to pants.)
2. When choosing your dress, carefully consider its cut and fabric: steer clear of anything too sheer, clingy, or low-cut.
3. Go for solid neutrals over florals, stripes, and tropical brights.
4. Add some polish with gorgeous jewelry and a belt (I like the idea of using the belt to add a pop of color, and giving a little nod to the boho feel of the dress with some bangles).
5. Layers work wonders to dress up a maxi: try adding a 3/4 sleeve cardigan (nothing too slouchy) or a linen blazer.
6. If your office permits sandals, go for something a little dressier (like a metallic wedge) to balance out the casual feel of the dress.
Product info after the jump.