Q. Hi Jordan,
This question seems to fit your “former” life perfectly. My husband and I are in our late twenties and live in the upper west side with our dog. We JUST realized that we have the day off this Monday, and we’ve made no plans. Do you have any ideas for trips or day trips that would work – without a car, and possibly with a dog in tow?
A. Oh, yes. Kendrick and I are professional day-trippers; when we were living in the city I knew that moving out to the ‘burbs would be a good idea for us mostly because every chance we got found us hopping a train, headed in the direction of a small town with cute restaurants and good antiquing.
I have two suggestions for you:
The Hudson Valley – and Tarrytown in particular – is kind of custom-made for day-tripping: it’s a 40 minute ride from Grand Central on the MetroNorth, and Main Street is about an 8-minute walk from the station (just walk uphill and you’ll find it). Plus, the town is only about three blocks long, so you’ll be able to spend your time enjoying yourself rather than transporting yourself from one spot to another.
- Get a cup of tea (and some excellent scones) at Silver Tips
- Eat one of the best burgers of your life (I mean that) at Horsefeathers
- Sample the famous brews at Coffee Labs Roasters (their coffee is way too bitter for my taste, but everyone else in the world seems to adore it)
- Meander through room after room filled to the brim with antiques and tchotchkes from every era at Hank’s Alley
- Catch a show at the Tarrytown Music Hall
- Eat farm-to-table food (most of the vegetables come from the nearby Stone Barns) at Sweetgrass
- Hang like a Rockefeller at Kykuit (the Rockefeller Estate)
- Do that hanging-out-with-actors-in-period-costume thing (and check out a working gristmill) at Philipsburg Manor
- Fortify yourself for the train ride home with a martini at Tarry Tavern
(Click here for more pics and to-dos.)
Anyone who’s been reading RG for awhile knows how much I love this town (I even featured it in my very first JITH segment).
Here’s Kendrick and me on a trip last spring:
- Start with lunch (the steak sandwiches aren’t on the menu anymore, but they’ll probably make you one if you ask) at the Cold Spring Depot
- Score some Jadeite at Juan Rosado Antiques (a.k.a. Decades)
- Eat a Go-Go Pop
- Scent your home with Lavender Room & Linen Spray (my favorite) from the Cold Spring Apothecary
- Browse wild furniture and other stylish finds for your home at Archipelago Home