Over the past few days, oddly enough, I’ve noticed one of my posts from October 2009 making the rounds all over Tumblr…so I figured it was worth revisiting here. The post (after the jump) is a whittled-down version of Martha Stewart’s Weekly Cleaning Checklist, but is still fairly comprehensive – so it’s perhaps best approached in small bites. At least that’s what I do.
There are six rooms in my apartment (kitchen, water closet, living room, office/music room, bathroom, and bedroom), so I’ve assigned each of these rooms to a day of the week on my iPhone, and I tackle one a day, no excuses (with a No Cleaning Day built in somewhere in there). I find that handling chores in miniature portions makes me dread them less…and makes me do a better job. I actually do hit all of the below bullet-points over the course of a week.
Except for vent-vaccuming.
I mean, really: who does that?
- Change and launder bath mats, towels, and washcloths
- Clean toilets, bathtubs, showers, and sinks (I also spray the shower area with Tilex to prevent mold)
- Empty trash bins and wipe down outside and inside
- Wipe down mirrors
- Change and launder sheets and pillowcases
- Discard magazines that you’re done reading and reorganize bedside table area
- Empty trash bins
- Change and launder tablecloth and cloth napkins, if you use them
- Wipe down table and chairs
- Sort through in-box; pay bills and file paperwork
- Empty trash bin
- Discard old food, beverages, and takeout containers
- Flush drain with boiling water
- Wipe down all surfaces, including refrigerator, sink, and cupboard doors
- Wipe inside of oven, microwave and toaster oven
- Wipe down inside and outside of trash bins
- Sort through magazines and catalogs; discard those you’re done with and store the rest
- Fluff and rotate sofa cushions
- Dust all surfaces, including light fixtures and tops of books (don’t forget to dust on top of and behind your wall hangings)
- Vacuum and mop floors (I have wooden floors and use no-rinse floor cleaner, which simplifies the process greatly)
- Vacuum vents
- Wipe down all glass surfaces
Do I do all this on a weekly basis? Nope. But I aspire to.