Q. Hi Jordan! I’m a loyal reader and have written you in the past; I have a challenge that I’ve been racking my brain with and thought I’d see if you have any suggestions.
I’ve been with my boyfriend for 2.5 years now and have usually given his family a group gift for Christmas, but this year, as we’re all closer and I’ve known them for quite some time now, I’m giving his parents individual gifts. What would you suggest as great gifts for your boyfriend’s father (under $50)? I was considering a nice bottle of liquor, but then didn’t know what kind!?
Any help would be great! Happy holidays!
Man, dad-in-laws (and dads) are so tough. I think a lot depends on your boyfriend’s father’s personality, of course, but here are some ideas ranging from traditional to more unique.
- A Pick Punch (DIY guitar picks…only get this if he’s a musician, of course).
- Anything involving bacon + chocolate.
- If he’s into cooking, try a pasta machine: this is fun and interactive, and the whole family can work together to make neat pastas.
- A graphic novel (here’s Kendrick’s guide).
- A vintage beer stein.
- If he drives (or just likes) motorcycles, try a motorcycle-themed cap or shirt (ProItalia, the company my dad owns, has some cool options).
- A charitable donation to Heifer International: you can purchase livestock that will be given to families in need to help them become self-sustaining over the long-term. A flock of baby chicks costs just $20 .
And if you’d still like to go for a nice bottle of liquor, consider Given Tequila Liqueur (it tastes like a margarita, but is straight-up tequila), Macallan 12-year Single Malt, Remy Martin 1738, or, if he prefers wine, a gift pack like this Tour de France one.
Hope that helps, and happy holidays to you, too!