I spent last night half-watching Breaking Bad and half-obsessing over the living room and what I want to do to make it feel more “us”. The thing is, pretty much everything in it right now is hand-me-down stuff that’s way nicer than the stuff we would have otherwise owned…but still sorta not quiiiiite my taste.
Want to see what my taste is?
This, more or less. (That’s Reese Witherspoon’s Ojai house, which has to be seen to be believed.) With more sparkle, color, and fluffiness in the form of throws and rugs.
Above is the rug I ended up going for: a soft grey chevron from nuLOOM.
And here’s what else I’m doing to switch it up:
1. The orange chair has officially been moved into the dining room for the time being. There’s still the orange/yellow problem, but it seems less pronounced somehow, and I like having a cozy little extra seating nook in an unexpected spot.
2. The orange chair has temporarily been replaced by my beloved faux-Eames rocker. It’s too small for the space (I prefer it in its previous home, our sunroom), but for now it looks fine.
3. We’re swapping out the brown couch for a bigger, more comfortable one in a soft linen color. The one pictured above is from Restoration Hardware and costs approximately as much as our house. But it’s also deep and gorgeous and generally amazing, so I’m going to try to save up for it.
4. This is my grandmother’s ancient wingback chair. I’ve been storing it for years now (it’s presently sitting in our garage), waiting to figure out what I want to recover it with.
I’m thinking something like this.
5. And then, like One Last Today suggested, I’m going to add a few extra splashes of color with a throw pillow or two.
When is all this happening? Don’t know. Eventually.
The plan is to hang out here for awhile, so we’ve got time.