Not only is this recipe healthy and deelish, it’s great for entertaining. It may not seem like a lot of ingredients, but it sure looks like it when the salad is complete. You can feed an army (or a famished family of four!). This recipe follows my 10-step prep rule. Enjoy, and mangia mangia!
What you need:
1 head of red leaf lettuce (I sometimes add a small head of bib or butter lettuce)
1 English cucumber
2 medium tomatoes
1 ripe avocado
1 can of black or dark red kidney beans
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey (can also substitute tofu)
2 tbsp taco seasoning, or one grocery story package (you can also make your own using 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp oregano, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing (yes, Italian)
Medium-hot salsa to taste
3/4 cup crumbled blue corn tortilla chips.
What you do:
1. Brown beef or turkey in a frying pan over medium-high heat until cooked through.
2. Add 2 1/2 tsp taco seasoning and 1/4 cup hot water; stir to combine.
3. Add drained and rinsed beans; lower heat.
4. After beans are heated through, take pan off burner.
5. Wash and chop lettuce, and toss in bowl with diced tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado.
6. Add meat and beans to salad.
7. Add Italian dressing, salsa, and cheese, and toss to combine.
8. Add in crumbled tortilla chips; serve and devour.