Ta da! The second look from my joint shoot with Sugarlaws’ Katy. I like this series way better, mostly because I look less like a fuzzy-haired, giggling hippie (which has its place and all, but still…I like this better). Actually, this may just be one of my favorite outfits to wear lately, even though all it really is is a mixture of a few basic pieces I’ve owned forever and a ten-dollar (! can’t get over that) dress from H&M.
Before Kristen began shooting, the three of us had a brief pow-wow about this pale pink dress and whether it was too light and frilly for fall, but then decided that it actually works better with heavier pieces to ground it; it’s much more interesting when removed from the season for which it was intended.
How to wear a summer dress well into the fall:
- Pair it with a blazer or boyfriend sweater in a medium-weight fabric.
- For footwear, think riding boots, platforms, or oxfords; nothing too strappy or bare.
- Try layering a slim turtleneck underneath and adding a wide belt.
- Go for opaque tights rather than sheers (or layer on some luxe leg warmers).
- Drape a big, cozy scarf around your neck.
- Avoid dresses with tropical colors (unless they’re neon solids, which look great with black and grey), and anything too shapeless and lightweight. Basically, if you wore it to the beach last summer, you probably shouldn’t be wearing it now.
On me: Banana Republic blazer, H&M dress, Betsey Johnson sweater tights, Jessica Simpson platforms, vintage necklaces (plus a fake Van Cleef & Arpels from Chinatown), Tuleste Market bracelets (generously provided by manufacturer), Tom Ford Anouk sunglasses (via Ebay).
Get a similar look:
Some inspiration from Erin Fetherston, DVF, & Philip Lim 3.1: