Thanks so much to everyone who joined in last week’s Simple Skincare Twitter party! Dr. Jennifer Segal (and my cohosts, Katy Atlas of Sugarlaws and Kristin Booker of fashion.style.beauty) had some great information to share, so I thought I’d post a few of my favorites tips here.
1. The winter months can be extremely harsh on skin, so remember to moisturize both morning and night (I use Simple’s Vital Vitamin Day Cream in the morning because it has SPF, and then switch to the Replenishing Rich Moisturizer at night).
2. Dry hands can be annoying (not to mention majorly painful), so keep a travel-sized bottle of super-rich moisturizer in your purse for on-the-go relief.
3. Even if your skin is oily, you need a moisturizer – just go for a lighter product, like Simple’s Hydrating Light Moisturizer.
4. Remember to cleanse using warm – not hot – water. Very hot water can actually draw moisture out of skin, making dryness even worse. (For the same reason, it’s better to go for a shower – and moisturize immediately afterwards – than a long, hot bath.)
5. If you have especially sensitive skin, try introducing new products to your skincare regimen one at a time – that way you’ll be able to easily identify the problem should one arise. Simple Skincare’s products are tailored especially for sensitive skin, because they’re free of dyes, perfumes and other potential irritants.
6. Removing your makeup before bed is absolutely essential. This is a big one for me, because I didn’t used to do this religiously, and it definitely showed in terms of how healthy my skin looked. Not to sound like a broken record here, but I love Simple’s Eye Make-up Remover – it’s so gentle that it feels almost like water, but takes absolutely everything off.