Today I am so tired that I don’t know what to do with myself. I slept plenty last night (save for the bouts of insomnia; more on that in a moment) and have hardly been running myself ragged lately, but man: TIRED.
Like, haven’t yet gotten out of robe and am having trouble typing tired. Want German Chocolate Cake and am thinking I may have to ring up Big Daddy’s and get a slice delivered because I cannot handle four flights of stairs tired.
But so far, fatigue has been my only major pregnancy symptom. Very luckily, I’ve had no morning sickness (well, there was one little bout early on, but just the one). There’s been moodiness – oh, yes – and it’s bad when it’s there (I have a little story to tell you one of these days about a Virgil-related incident that left me spread-eagled on the floor in total meltdown mode), but it’s not there all that often. And I think I’m doing a pretty good job of acknowledging when I’m in a bit of a state and recognizing that while it may feel like the world is ending, nothing is actually wrong.
Other than that, here’s what I got (mostly in small doses):
- Breakouts on my cheeks and the bridge of my nose, probably the only two spots where I have never in my life suffered from breakouts (this was much worse in the beginning, and is almost gone at this point). I dealt with this by majorly streamlining my skincare routine: it’s now just Cetaphil cleanser and Kiehl’s moisturizer, with Mario Badescu Drying Lotion as needed.
- Pretty nails for the very first time in my life. I’ve been showing them off with a super-sheer, healthy-looking pink (Essie Pink Glove Service).
- Very occasional but very weird lower back spasms. The first time that happened I did all these bizarre Jim-Carrey-style contortions while walking through the living room, and Kendrick totally thought it was funny and was not even close to sympathetic enough (see: moodiness, above). The only thing that helps with these is not moving.
- Spidey senses: if Kendrick has even one beer, he smells like he poured a bottle of vodka on himself. And I completely cannot handle the smell of Sriracha. Go figure.
- A fun touch of acid reflux due to changing hormone levels. Sexy. (Avoiding things like carbonated beverages, tomatoes, citrus foods, and caffeine helps with this.)
- Nasal congestion. Also sexy. (This is called “the rhinitis of pregnancy,” which is a term that I think is so gross that I can’t even say it out loud.)
- Stomach pain from ligament-stretching (this has gotten much better in the past couple of weeks). Reducing activity levels is pretty much the way to deal with this one.
- Laughter fits (love these).
- Super-soft skin thanks to daily applications of thick moisturizer (I’ve been using Clean Body Butter on my stomach every night, and I adore it).
- Major insomnia (I wake up multiple times a night and often have to make my way out to the couch to get comfortable). Keeping the room cold helps a lot.
- Insane chest pain (sorry if that’s TMI…but I suppose this entire post kind of is). I am now an E. AN E. And my new additions certainly do not help with my sleep issues. I’ve found that a sleeping bra is 100% necessary (I picked up an inexpensive one at Macy’s, but this Elle Macpherson one is just gorgeous).
Are any of you experiencing similar things? What are you doing to help?
P.S. We (hopefully) find out the sex for sure tomorrow. CAN’T WAIT CAN’T WAIT CAN’T WAIT.